REGENERATION OF INDUSTRIAL CITIES
22-23 June 2021
EC1 – ul. Targowa 1/3, Łódź, Poland
The Regeneration of Industrial Cities International Congress will deal with strategic challenges faced by contemporary industrial agglomerations that compete on the international arena. The problems of industrial cities that have undergone crises and keep adapting to the new conditions are more or less known. Such cities accumulate business activities that are immanently related to business cycles of various space-time scale. Industrial cities are also governed by major global technological cycles that change the geography of development impulses, particularly if the economic functions of the cities have been conditioned by the availability and delivery costs of raw materials and natural resources. Therefore, the congress will focus on the question: “How to preserve the development capacity of a city with industrial traditions based on the contemporary produce?” As a city with 200 years of industrial tradition, Łódź is a perfect place to answer that question and confront it with reality.
Major architectural facilities at the city centre include the complex of buildings of the former Łódź CHP plant, which currently houses a cultural institution under the auspices of the City of Łódź and the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, operating under the name of “EC1 Łódź — City of Culture” in Łódź. The revitalised buildings of EC1 East fulfil cultural and artistic functions. They have hosted such events as: the Promised Land Art Festival, the Festival of Plays Pleasant and Unpleasant, the Festival of Theatrical Schools, the Transatlantic Festival, Animator on Tour and the Light Move Festival. They are also the home of the National Centre for Film Culture, the Łódź Film Commission and the Centre for Comics and Interactive Narration. The EC1 complex offers events which allow people to spend their free time in wise and inspiring ways.
22 June 2021
THE THEME PATHS:
- New industries – new challenges.
- Transformation and specificity of industrial cities in the duo-polar systems. Industrial cities in the shade of the capital – an opportunity or a curse?
- Industrial cities in the global and regional influence zones
- Small and medium-sized industrial cities – challenges posed by functional changes
- Financing the regeneration of industrial cities
- The blue-green infrastructure in regeneration of the city’s development potential
23 June 2021
THE THEME PATHS:
- 200th anniversary of industrial Łódź – paths to the future
- The new life of post-industrial areas and facilities
- The demographic and social situation of industrial cities
- Functional relations and mobility within industrial cities and conurbations
- Cultural heritage as a revitalisation resource
- Agriculture and food production in cities
Vice-President of the European Commission; Executive Vice-President for A Europe Fit for the Digital Age and Competition
OEES CITY LAB
Welcome to the OEES CityLab platform operating within the framework of the OEES Hub, aimed at linking research and analysis with implementation, and at supporting transformation processes the cities have to undergo in order to face the increasing global threats, including climate change and the consequences of global pandemic. It becomes necessary to work out new adequate forms of action and cooperation. This also refers to experts and expert circles. The importance of expert knowledge and the demand for such knowledge is on the increase and should continue to increase..